ARE THE PREACHINGS WICKED?
Having been born as Gen Z, we are familiar with and have found more discussions about spirituality, mindfulness, and meditation than ever before. Nowadays, with the provision of connecting with large audiences through various means, people are discussing ways to lead a happy life or to avoid stress and more recently to accept and adapt to the new normal.
Being a Gen Z myself, I know what it is to learn about research and theories through experts and not be able to relate with one's own life. The teachings prove to be wicked only when the audience gets heavy terminology and theories but not its application into unique lives of ours. It is a proven fact that each one is wired differently but unfortunately, we lack the means to learn the unique ways to remain happy that align with our life and personality. To begin, it is important for us to understand that spirituality, mindfulness, and meditation aren't the same. Spirituality is much about connecting with the soul or spirit of the being but mindfulness is about understanding the state of mind and being aware of the present. Meditation on the other hand is a procedure or systematic technique to achieve mindfulness or to learn to master one's own mind, thoughts, emotions, and actions.
Here comes the challenge to achieve mindfulness without quitting the common life or choosing to be a monk. To balance peace of mind with a fast-paced lifestyle is a real task. On one hand, technology is making us habitual of instant gratification, immediate results, and impatience but on the other hand the target is to master the mind and strive for happiness. Unfortunately, pleasure is used interchangeably with happiness, the former, however, might be addictive or relaxing in the present but takes us far from inner satisfaction and stability. Not only this, we are often taught to associate our happiness with goals or targets either materialistic or of a certain position. We start chasing happiness in a way that we often forget the joy in little things in the very present. The little acts can help us experience peace of mind which is not an imaginary situation but something once experienced encourages us to live for it and die with it. Thus, we are compelled to analyze and reflect upon our lives if our actions today are towards desired consequences, if we are living with a purpose or not.
Sadly, our generation has seen the highest suicide rate, existential anxiety, and frequent emotional setbacks. According to American research 9 in 10 Gen Z, adults are victims of depression. This is certainly an issue of concern. It not only compels youngsters to reconstruct their lives but also is a warning for society to work towards an emotionally healthy environment. We don't ask for respect towards our feelings, we will command it, we just ask for space to do that. I personally believe in the power of listening and providing emotional support, but the one without advice, ethical checks, and apparent reasoning.
Before you move ahead, pause for a minute, try grounding activity or observe the breath and ask ourselves, What am I seeking in my life? and Am I working towards self-actualization? Do I have a purpose in life or am I just existing? Congratulate yourself if you find answers to this but make sure you don't feel disheartened if you don't. Undeniably, in some phases of life or with a mental disorder, it is success to live each day and not quit even when it seems the best option. So, be kind to yourself and take your time. I believe we are evolving each moment and if we make some deliberate efforts for our personal growth, (therapy/reflecting/spirituality) I am sure we can experience transformation within.
People often think that delving into these questions makes one serious, an overthinker, or a person who analyses almost everything. But I believe that purposelessness can have worse consequences because if we lack the motivation to get out of bed then we surely need to introspect into our lives and rise above existence. Also, when we talk about purpose or aim we refer to the future and eagerness to unfold what the future holds for us, and so we automatically invite hope into our lives and it works vice versa as someone with little hope might be interested to think about existence. I see living with hope as a two-way chain process.
Now, the interesting option I have explored to remain happy and find happiness for own physical and emotional wellbeing apart from daily measures and thinking process is to visualize non-materialistic and never-ending goals (like being empathetic or energetic instead of wishing for a gadget or a companion) along with trying to be a single tasker, focusing on the present and reminding ourselves again and again that every thought and word of our’s regulate our hormones and send frequencies into the universe. For me, the most important but not so easy task is to give my one hundred percent and leave to the universe to surrender myself to accept what comes my way. I, being a believer, remind myself to be grateful for both what I gain and also for what I lose in my life because I see a purpose behind both, atimes beyond our intellect.
I have not written this because I am perfect at it or I know it all but just because I have found a way to the peak and I wish to share the light I am carrying with others climbing, hopefully, we meet at the peak. Do take some breaks on the way before you become too breathless. It is fine if you get lost on the way, or explore a new way to the destination, I am sure you would explore something others might not. After all, it is about learning and evolving, keep going.
Noice blog, Ananya.
ReplyDelete